
When the girls were teen agers, the one thing they disliked the most was when I responded to a request with "No...just because I said so!"
"Mom, may I go to a party with (Tom, Dick, or Harry)?
"No, I'd rather you didn't."
"Mom! all the other kids are going! Just WHY can't I go?"
Thinking of no other plausable answer that would be satisfactory to teen agers, my standard reply was,
"Because I said so!"
Well....as the old saying goes, "What goes around, comes around."
The girls grew up and married. Our oldest daughter has two daughters and, guess what? She found herself using the same expression as they were going through their teen age years.
The two grand daughters hated the same response when their mother came out with..."Just because I said so!" Sometimes you can explain and explain, giving reason after reason, and nothing suffices like that phrase!
It was Vacation Bible School time about three years ago. The grand daughter (Little Star), then 16 years old, was visiting us. Since I was going to be working in VBS the week she was here, she volunteered to be my helper. Always being short of help in summer VBS, I quickly found a job for her.
One morning, Little Star was giving directions to a group of the younger kids for a game they were going to play. She told them to sit in a circle. One little girl asked "WHY?"
Little Star began to explain that sitting in a circle was part of the game and the little girl asked again "WHY?"
Out of frustration, Little Star said "Just because I said so!!!"
She clapped her hand over her mouth and turned to me saying, "I CAN'T believe I said that!!
(The little girl, about 6 years old, said in response, "Sounds like a good reason to me!!")
What goes around, comes around!!
"Mom, may I go to a party with (Tom, Dick, or Harry)?
"No, I'd rather you didn't."
"Mom! all the other kids are going! Just WHY can't I go?"
Thinking of no other plausable answer that would be satisfactory to teen agers, my standard reply was,
"Because I said so!"
Well....as the old saying goes, "What goes around, comes around."
The girls grew up and married. Our oldest daughter has two daughters and, guess what? She found herself using the same expression as they were going through their teen age years.
The two grand daughters hated the same response when their mother came out with..."Just because I said so!" Sometimes you can explain and explain, giving reason after reason, and nothing suffices like that phrase!
It was Vacation Bible School time about three years ago. The grand daughter (Little Star), then 16 years old, was visiting us. Since I was going to be working in VBS the week she was here, she volunteered to be my helper. Always being short of help in summer VBS, I quickly found a job for her.
One morning, Little Star was giving directions to a group of the younger kids for a game they were going to play. She told them to sit in a circle. One little girl asked "WHY?"
Little Star began to explain that sitting in a circle was part of the game and the little girl asked again "WHY?"
Out of frustration, Little Star said "Just because I said so!!!"
She clapped her hand over her mouth and turned to me saying, "I CAN'T believe I said that!!
(The little girl, about 6 years old, said in response, "Sounds like a good reason to me!!")
What goes around, comes around!!
5 comments:
that's hilarious!!!
I DID ASKED MY MOTHER WHY A LOT OF TIMES BUT ONLY ASKED MY FATHER ONCE.
I WOULD HAVE LIKE TO HAVE BEEN THERE WHEN THE LITTLE GIRL GAVE HER ANSWER.
Yup. The more things change, the more they stay the same ...
I have had to use that at the prison. The kids won't listen to reason sometimes because they are messed up in the head and sometimes because the just don't want to! I haven't had to use it with Eliza or Sadie yet!
I gave you a pretty pink award to go with the other ones you are accumulating!
That is a great story! I love it. Little Star is only 16, wait till she's a Mommy!
Post a Comment