Thursday, November 29, 2007

These Little Lights Of Mine...

All this week, I've been trying to get into a house cleaning mode.
.
Christmas is quickly approaching and I want the house to look as nice as possible.
.
The problem is that I've procrastinated so much and let things slide, thinking "Oh, I can do
that later", chores have really piled up.
.
I have given some thought to hiring some help on a weekly or once every two weeks basis. And then I get to thinking..."that's foolish to spend that money and not do it myself! I'm retired...that's all I have to do."
.
Though, in reality that's not all I have to do. I spend a great deal of time being involved in too many other things....Historical Commission, Retired Teachers, Extension Club, children's ministry, and anything else that I'm called on to do. But when we retired and moved back home, I promised myself to give back to our community as much as I received as a young person growing up here.
.
God has blessed us (hubs and myself) greatly with good health and able bodies...though they may be less able than they were! Both of us stay very busy and involved.
.
Well...here I've rambled and gotten off the cleaning subject!
.
Today was set aside for cleaning the chandeliers. We have FIVE of these boogers and they haven't been cleaned in over a year! (maybe even two years....who keeps count?) They are all sooooo dusty!

O.K....here comes the vinegar
and white rag! It's simply
amazing how vinegar will make
prisms shine and sparkle!
As I was cleaning,
the children's song
"This Little Light of Mine"
came into mind and I began
humming and then singing
the words.



"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine! This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine....let it shine...let it shine....let it shine."

Then I got to thinking, how many times I need to dust myself off and let my light shine. I get so covered up with the dust of busy work; of going to this meeting and that meeting, of doing this and that, and yes! definitely spending too much time on the computer and becoming enveloped with the darkness of the world through the news media, that oftentimes I need to stop and give myself a good dusting, so that my light will shine and won't be cloudy and dark.

Maybe you have the same problem. If so, let's all give ourselves a good dusting, and if necessary, take a bath in vinegar water. It'll make you shine!!

12 comments:

crabby old man said...

I do not believe ur all that dusty, maybe a few cobwebs.
I think most of us could use a good spiritual cleaning.
May God Bless Your Home

-eve- said...

I remember singing that sunday school song lots. It's a good reminder... polish ourselves so we shine...

Anonymous said...

Inspired

I am getting some inspiration now, I need to do some cleaning here, my workstation area is packed with junk. Gotta go, time for cleanup! Have a fine Texas weekend.

cfs

Jackie said...

crabby: I get pretty dusty! (plus cobwebs, too) Thank you for my Home blessing! Your's too!

eve: Yes, it's a 'never grow old' song!*smile of contentment*

cfs: That's my intention...to give inspiration! Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesn't. Read one of your comments on a blog that you're getting ready for another trip. It's nice to leave your place all neat and tidy to come back to!! now.....GET BUSY! (lol)

buffalodick said...

You've got 5 chandeliers to clean, we've got 1 ceilingfan/light needs the same! Ashes to ashes- but dust is still dust!

thisisme said...

How funny - I was singing that song yesterday and have no idea why. Sometines it just gets into my head and stays for a while. What a great post.

With the cleaning - if you need some help, go for it. You are helping someone who needs the work, and freeing yourself up to contribute to the community and your family in ways that fulfil you.

Jackie said...

buff: Thanks for dropping by. Yep! Dust is dust, no matter how you look at it! I've made some headway today, though.

tim: thank you, thank you! I never thought about the cleaning help in the respect of helping someone who needs the work while I'm contributing to the community. I just may have to give that some more thought!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I hate dusting... yuk yuk yuk....
You could always pay one of your grandkids, huh????

And you have five of those puppies?? Eewwwww.....

I just switched my fans over to the winter mode... and alllll kinds of dust came flying off!!


I pray everyday for good health!!
Without your health, you don't have anything.

Love you girlie!!!!!!!!!!
xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I am good at cleaning, that doesn't mean I like it. I worked custodial for three years in college. The last two were in the married dorms and I was a student supervisor, so I got real good at it. No one can clean an oven like I can. Every Christmas that is my gift to my mother-in-law-an oven that looks like new.

Jackie said...

Terri: yep! 5 of those puppies! And, I might try the 'grandkid employee' route if any of them were ever around. But they're at the age that they have their 'own fish to fry'....or, I might say...their own lights to shine! (except the 2 young ones and they're still too small)

Rev: Speaking from a MIL viewpoint, this would be the BEST gift ever!! You're a great sil...

Terry said...

Oh, when your post began, I thought, yeah, I have some cleaning to get to myself. Then I read how you need to clean the chandelier and I thought about how that chore wasn't even on my mind. Yikes. My chandelier REALLY needs a dusting. I still need to get to the everyday organizing. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get to work.

I think you shine very brightly as it is already.

Jackie said...

Terry:
It's so easy to "forget" ceiling fans, light globes, and chandeliers!! If it's above my head, I have a tendency not to look!


I think you shine very brightly as it is already.
You are much too kind...