Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Give Up Dessert?

Today, February 25, is Ash Wedneday; the first day of Lenten.
♥
Protestants don't normally practice the Lenten period, this practice being prevalent among Catholics.
♥
I'm not of the Catholic faith, but I admire this practice of self-denial, especially during the pre-Easter season. We American Christians have no idea of what constitutes sacrifice. Many Christians who do not want to put themselves through any personal hardships will "put down" the Lenten period as they see fit. Is it too much for any of us to honor the Lord by remembering His sacrifice for us by taking upon ourselves a little self denial? Lots of excuses can be made not to practice Lent, but that`s what they are, just excuses; because of selfishness and love of self.
♥
"As we approach the joy of another Easter victory it is necessary to first pass through the penance and prayer of another Lent. There is no glorious sunrise on Easter morn without first passing through the darkness of Good Friday. This was true for the Master, and, as He told us, “the servant is no better than his Master.”
♥
Lent is a preparation for Easter, just as Advent is a preparation for Christmas. It is a time when we should redouble our efforts to “fight the good fight and run the race to the finish line.”
♥
We cannot float through the spiritual life, or life in general. To be successful, it takes a lot of work! One of the greatest benefits of doing this is that you will find peace and joy almost immediately. All of your problems won’t go away, but you will be given strength to handle them.
♥
So...this year, I'm giving my all to the season of Lent. I'm making a sacrifice. For true, practicing Catholics, my sacrifice may seem trivial; but due to my addiction to sugar, it is a major decision. I'm sacrificing desserts!

Peace to your household...

9 comments:

Tammie said...

Fasting is biblical. I'm giving up yeast products. Caroline gave up cokes. It the 'somethings' that have gotten out of control in our lives.

Thanks for the post! and the accountability!

WomanHonorThyself said...

uh oh..ya better not read my latest post hun..lol

crabby old man said...

I'm giving up LIVER

Frasypoo said...

You are right,we protestants turn up our noses at anything like that but its the act of giving up something and more on the lines of fasting that is important.I used to fast a lot before I started running!
Good for you,will keep checking in on you

Darla said...

wow, that is true sacrifice. but i'll bet you feel better, each time i stop the sugar, i feel so good, only to go back to it again.

Anonymous said...

Good post Jackie....go over to my blogger friend Sam's post on Lent.
http://eastsidecommunitychurch.blogspot.com/2009/02/lent-important-lessons-from.html

I have observed Lent over the years some but not always....

Frasypoo said...

Hi,dont worry about not visiting blogs.Sometimes life gets so hectic,its crazy!!!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

You are the woman! I used to observe Lent...but I must admit...I have been slack, of late!


I may give up working....can I do that?

Susannah said...

We're Protestant (Methodist) & observe Lent. My 12 yr old son gave up candy (which was a REAL sacrifice for him), & I gave up cookies (okay, not so much of a sacrifice, but if you knew how much I like cookies...). He did SO well with it. I was very, very impressed w/ his discipline. He checked himself all through Lent - no prompting from me. The Easter Bunny gave him a bag of his favorites candy on Easter morning. Oh, & I did fine w/o cookies...though tempted many times w/ 3 kids in the house!