Saturday, May 20, 2006

reminiscence

It’s funny how an event in one’s life, conjures up dormant memories of the past. In a recent post about the death of a classmate, thoughts of the past began to flood my mind. I began thinking about the good times and good experiences we had as band members in high school. This led to thoughts and memories of the band director we had. At the time, we thought he was an old, old man (grouchy, too!) but, in reality he was only 23 or 24 years old….and not grouchy at all! It was during his tenure here that our band began to make impressive strides toward excellence. This occurred because he demanded excellence! He was married to a beautiful young girl, who at the time, was probably 21 or 22. Just kids! But, what an impact they did make in our school and with the band. Of course, many would avow that I'm prejudice, but I don’t believe there’s ever been another band director as dedicated as he was. It wasn’t until he left Munday that some of us began to realize that not only was he our director but he had become a good friend. It has been many, many years since I’ve seen him. After he left Munday, he later went back to school and received a doctorate in music. (or at least this is what I’ve heard)

Before the last Homecoming, four years ago, I obtained his address and telephone number. I wrote and invited him to come to the Homecoming festivities. His wife replied with a nice letter, regretting that they could not attend due to previous plans. Now, it’s time for another Homecoming. This morning, I hunted up their address and sent them a short message concerning the death of one of his Munday students. I didn’t mention the upcoming Homecoming but if/when I hear from them, there will be a follow-up communication.

I’m anticipating a reunion with Harold and Joyce! All of us together….just one more time!

2 Timothy 4:22
“The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.”

No comments: