Thursday, April 19, 2007

Living In A Rut?


Zig Ziglar says, "The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth of the hole."

I may have agreed with this philosophy as a younger woman. But now, I believe it's a matter of attitude. There is a degree of comfort of living in a so-called rut.

We have a dog that was given to us by our grandchildren. When we got Butch he was 3 months old. We started kennel training him as soon as we got him home. As a young puppy, he spent a lot of time in that kennel. Butch is almost 6 years old now and when he feels the need for some comfort/security he'll voluntarily go to his kennel. That kennel has become his security blanket.

That's what living in a rut means to me. It's my security blanket. More often than not, when I'm out of my rut, it's because of some misfortune of life.....death of friends or loved ones, illness of friends or loved ones, misfortunes of friends or loved ones. The walls of my rut are like Butch's kennel to him....comfort and security.

Now, you ask....What prompted this post about ruts?

I received the following e-mail from our son-in-law early this morning:
"Good morning.

After your last few days of excitement,

isn't it good to be back in your rut?

Being in a daily rut is really under rated"
Yes, I agree with him.....it is really under rated!! I wonder if the victims of Virginia Tech would agree?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The comfort of the familiar, especially if you are in a warm and loving place, physically and spiritually, is priceless. Sometimes it takes having lived awhile to know and appreciate that. Thank you for that reminder. Love, Jan

Anonymous said...

WHEN YOU LIVE ON DIRT ROADS THE RUTS WILL LEAD YOU HOME ,.& HOME IS WHERE I FEEL MORE SECURE!!! D.WHITE

Jackie said...

This is why you are two of my "mostest favoritest" people!!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh I am SOOOO WITH YOU...
I am suchhhh a homebody!!

I love being at home..
I feel safe and sound....

No wonder we get along so well!!!

Jackie said...

Yes, you too, Terri! You've become a 'mostest favorite' also!!

Anonymous said...

I'll go any where if I can be back home by dark.
chikenherder
home's where my heart is, but I would travel to see matthew

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Awwww....
that's sooo sweet that you'd come see our little fella....

He can meet his aunties and uncles from Texas!!

Big heart hugs!!

Anonymous said...

I believe you have more:' "mostest favoritest" people!!" than anyone I've ever seen. LOL, I'm enjoying the ruts that belong to me.
Pineywoods

Jackie said...

Yes, Pineywoods! I tend to add to my list of 'mostest favoritest' those who love, support, and treat me with respect. (and, I might add, "those who think like I do! LOL)

You're on the list!!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I feel certain that they would!

Personally, I am also happiest in my happy little rut of a life! :)

Jackie said...

Queen of the Mayhem!

Thanks for dropping by 'for a spell'. I've seen your blog on Steel Magnolia's blog-roll but haven't taken the time to visit you. That will be a 'must do'!

(love the name of your blog...sounds so familiar of my "used to be life!"

Anonymous said...

It's still her life (love the name of your blog...sounds so familiar of my "used to be life!"
HER # 1 FAN since 1971

Anonymous said...

THIS BLOG IS BUSIER THAN THE WINE SHOP.
WILD IRISH ROSE