Thursday, April 05, 2007

Racism in Song of the South?

Bobby Roddy.

I wonder what happened to Bobby Roddy....I wonder!

I haven't thought of Bobby Roddy for years and years....not until the controversy over “Song of the South” arose.

One year, while I was still teaching, I was asked to teach a Pre-First Grade class. This was for the kiddies from kindergarten that weren't quite ready to handle the first grade curriculum. (This was at the onset of all the testing of which our children now endure, which I believe is a 'spawn of Satan'...but no one ever asks me.)

Bobby Roddy, a bouncy little black boy, was one of those precious students. Bobby was being raised by his old grandpap...just those two. Mr. Roddy would have Bobby at school at the crack of dawn and, since I was an early riser and always had school work to attend to, I was always there. Bobby would come in the room, sit down at his desk, and ask for something to work on until the other students got there.

He would start working, usually on something that didn't require a lot of concentration, and would immediately being singing...Zippedy-Do-Dah. (from Song of the South) This song has such a catchy tune and lilting lyrics that it haunts you the rest of the day.

We had the best year! The kids were happy and so willing to learn. At the beginning of the next school year, several of those kids had far surpassed first grade skills, and were placed in the second grade!

I give Bobby Roddy the credit for setting a happy, learning environment that year and to the dear grandfather, Mr. Roddy, credit for giving to Bobby something that he could carry with him the rest of his days.

I pray that Bobby is still singing...


Zippedy-Do-Dah, Zippedy-Ay!
My, oh my, what a wonderful day!

Plenty of sunshine headin' my way,
Zippedy-Do-Dah, Zippedy-Ay!

Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder,
It's a fact! It's actual!
Everything is satisfactual!

Zippedy-Do-Dah, Zippedy-Ay,
Wonderful feeling, Wonderful day.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was in the days when you could enjoy things, without being bothered about being politicaly correct.
D.White

Tammie said...

I'm not gettting it...what controversy are ya'll talkin' bout?

Jackie said...

The film "Song of the South" (1946) has never been released on home video in the USA. Disney is attempting a 'come-back' of the film but the NAACP is trying to have it banned....too racist they say.

So sad that our little children are growing up never hearing, much less learning, the wonderful music.